The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Abstain

If you abstain from something, you restrain yourself from consuming it. People usually abstain from things that are considered vices — like drinking alcohol, eating chocolate or running the West Highland Way Race.

So there we go, the first casualty of my 2014 plans, the race that has consumed me for the last 2 years.  I didn't put in my entry, it was a close call, right up to a few hours before entries closed.

It took the whole of November to decide and finally let the race go.  It wasn't an easy decision, my 2013 race was one of the best weekends of my life, running and spending time with my family.

There were three reasons for not entering -

First was my family and support - with the Double Cateran, an East to West Scotland challenge and the G24 requiring extensive support, it was unfair to expect the same commitment at the WHW race.

Second was recovery - yes, the WHW is only five weeks after the Double Cateran and I don't doubt my ability to at least complete both, but my major challenge next year is the East to West which would be less than five weeks after the WHW race.

Thirdly - I didn't want to take a place in a race which is over subscribed and requires a ballot. The WHW race requires complete commitment, something I don't think I could have done.  I didn't want to take the place from someone who might have been more focused than me.

I must admit, I was a bit jealous reading the Facebook posts of acceptance, but I pressed "Like" on every one of them and wish all race entrants the best on June the 21st.

I can still be involved of course, maybe 2014 is the time to give something back to ultra running, a time to support or help out.

I already have two Crystal Goblets and I'll be back in 2015 to make it three, three sounds much better than two.

So that's it, it's off my chest and now I can concentrate on the first major challenge of next year, the Double Cateran, I better start serious training.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment