The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Sunday, 1 November 2015

Jedburgh Running Festival

I didn't quite get off with my G24 "smash and grab".  After the race, although I could put weight on my right foot, it was very swollen and painful to drive.  RICE didn't seem to calm it down and with an impending visit to Pulpit Rock I visited the doc.

Tendinitis was the diagnosis, so off I went thinking a few weeks rest and I'll be back running.  Pulpit Rock was spectacular, with walkers and runners of all abilities making the trek.

4 weeks after the G24 and with the Jedburgh ultra looming I ventured out, a nice easy 4 mile run.  The ankle still was not right and swelled up once more.  I called the physio who managed to squeeze in an appointment at short notice.

"What took you so long to get in touch?" was the question before a really thorough examination of the ankle.  I was hoping it would just get better with rest, that and trying to fit the appointment in around work.

I got the news I was expecting, no running and certainly not my last two ultra races of the year.  A torn ankle ligament, so off I went with instructions to get the foot compressed, cooled and get the swelling down before the next appointment and we'll take it from there.

I withdrew from the Jedburgh ultra and volunteered to marshal.  I couldn't bring myself round to withdraw from the GO33 as it seemed a while away.

Two weeks later and a positive visit, the ankle was better.  I was shown how to support with tape and given the green light to run, short distances on road I must add.  A set of strengthening exercises, wobble board and tape are now part of my running team, for the time being anyway.

It's been a good few years since I ran a 10k, I don't really enjoy frantic all out running but I entered the Jedburgh 10k as an incentive to get going again and felt rather apprehensive.

Team Chalmers packed the van and headed south, a couple of days at the stunning Northumbrian coast before heading across to Jedburgh for the running weekend.

The borders were at their best in the autumn sun.  We pitched at the camp site then geocached around Jedburgh before visiting the impressive abbey.

Our duties were to marshal checkpoint 2 of the ultra, just before hitting the three peaks.  The route looked stunning and for the first time I really missed not running the ultra.  The weather was very wet for a while before clearing up.    The marshals, led by Helen, got to work preparing the checkpoint before getting to action stations as first of the runners came through.

Marshalling for the first time was stressful for team Chalmers, I stood a bit down the trail and yelled runners numbers to the timing crew and Lynne / Skye.           It was frantic at times when large groups of runners arrived together, after a few hours all was done and we went back to help at the rugby club.

I enjoyed being on the other side, helping out race organisers so runners get a really good experience at the event.  Excellent soup and rolls were served along with a beer for the runners, a reward for their efforts.  After packing up and tidying it was time to hit the very busy Belters Bar for some food, drink and socialising.

Sunday, and it was my turn.  Did I mention I don't really like 10k's?  I cycled to the start, registered and chatted to runners.  Unknown to me, orange running shirts were proof of doing the dirty double, the previous days ultra and the half marathon.  I felt a bit of a fraud wearing one for the 10k but this was a big run for me in getting back on track.

Jedburgh high street was a great atmosphere with a pipe band seeing off the runners.  As far as I can remember, my 10k PB was around 45 minutes.  I knew I wouldn't improve on that but wanted to get as close as possible.

At eleven we were off,  I tried to keep a steady, quicker than normal pace.  Very quickly I was out of breath with my heart hammering.  Around two miles in a stitch appeared.  The good news is my ankle held up as I had strict physio instructions to stop if in pain.  At the half way turn around I grabbed a bottle of water, don't ask me why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time, even though I didn't open it.  Back towards Jedburgh I felt myself slowing, I tried to keep the same pace but began to suffer.  The finish line was a great atmosphere, with an announcement on crossing the line in 50 minutes.

With a long drive home we had to pack and leave straight after the race.  I'd like to take the opportunity and thank race directors Angela and Noanie for allowing the Chalmers family to be part of the Jedburgh Ultra Race.  The whole event is a very easy, laid back affair run by some of the nicest people around.  We will be back next year, only this time I'll be running the race.

Week ending 4th October - Sun 04.  Weekly total 04 miles.
Week ending 25th October - Sun 06.  Weekly total 06 miles.
Sat 05.  Weekly total 05 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment