The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Monday 6 May 2019

28 seconds.

The Fling was my first event of the year and I was feeling quite good.  So good that I found myself in the 10 to 12 hour starting pen for the race.  I knew just over 12 hours was my PB, that was back in 2013, what I perceive to be my best year of running.  Could I dip under 12 hours six years later?  It would be a huge boost to moral with the 6666 fast approaching.

So off I went at a much quicker pace than normal, hoping to make time on the flat run to Drymen before hitting Conic.  I ran between 9 1/2 and 10 minute miles, the rain forecast held off before inevitably arriving and soaking the field.

After Drymen, I continued to run uphill to the forest before walking some of the steeper slopes. 
Once at Conic a runner was following closely behind, time to test the hill training I thought.  I felt strong climbing and passed about a dozen runners before descending to Balmaha. 

A good start to the race but all was not well.  A pain in my right heel had me limping out of the checkpoint and I wondered if it was going to be an early finish.  Forefoot striking was painful so I was forced to flat foot strike to make progress.  I decided to nurse the foot to Rowardennan and assess the situation from there.

Although in pain, I decided to hold off on the paracetamol, I wanted to make sure pain didn't spread to my achilles tendon which would disrupt future events.  I needed to reduce my pace which was just as well, I felt tired after starting so quick. 

At Rowardennan I decided to continue on, the pain remained in my heel so if I could just get to the finish like this it would be a good result.  On the uphill out of Rowardennan I hooked up with another runner.  Dave felt the same as me, started the race too quick and ran out of energy.  The cold and wet conditions were not helping but someone to chat to made the miles go by.

The technical section was wet and muddy, this slowed us down even more but we soon made it to Inversnaid where I swallowed a couple of pain killers to see me through.

The conditions were miserable but the view from Darios post was as spectacular as ever.  Once fed and watered at Bienglas I looked at my watch.  Ten past three, 2 hours 50 minutes to get under 12 hours.  It was going to be tight Dave and I agreed but we were not going to get stressed, we would just take it as it comes.

The Falls of Falloch were spectacular, in full spate with the wet conditions.  A smooth new path at Cow Poo Alley sped us along to the roller coaster section before the last four miles to the finish.

It became obvious we weren't going to make it under 12 hours but it wouldn't be much over.  I had it in my mind my PB was around 12 hours 2 minutes (I should have checked before the race).  In fact, back in 2013 my PB was 12 hours 4 minutes and 37 seconds.

We were piped in to the famous Highland Fling red carpet finish.  The brilliant team here took care of each and every runner, making sure all was fine and fetching hot drinks.

My chip time for the 2019 Fling?  12 hours 5 minutes and 5 seconds.
I'll take it though, it means my fitness is back to what it was and gives me confidence for the big one in June.

Thanks to John Duncan and his team for yet another superb event, one not to be missed on the ultra calendar.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment