The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Monday 12 May 2014

Double

I'm going to the Cateran.  I don't know whether to be excited or terrified.  I think I'm both.  There's no question a better run up to the race would have made me feel more confident.  Now, when I feel every twinge or stiff muscle I convince myself something is wrong which will threaten my entry.

After sports massage last week I did a very slow and steady 3 miles on Thursday with no calf pain, all was well.  The weekend was make or break where I set out not knowing what distance to run.  On Saturday I was paranoid as I ran past the five mile mark and hit the trails.  If the calf misbehaved it was withdrawal time, simple as that.  I ran up and down Brimmond hill with no problems and returned with 12 miles under my belt.
So far so good, I still had the back to back Sunday run to do, this time round the Deershire roads.

I loaded the iphone with two hours of music and set off, I needed the tunes to put a spring in my step and it worked.  At one point I really felt I got my mojo back as the suns rays shone on the surrounding countryside.
After 13 miles it was job done with no adverse effects.

The right leg is a bit stiff and I do think I've lost a bit of fitness but I'll just have to give it my best shot.
I decided to take the race on for a couple of reasons.  I need a break and can't think of a better place to be this weekend than the hills of Perthshire and I don't want to miss another race, especially as this is in my opinion the best ultra in Scotland.

I have a lot of organising to do, including information to my back up team but I'll start on that tomorrow.

Mon 3, Thurs 3, Sat 12, Sun 13. Weekly total 31 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment