The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Sunday 1 March 2015

Emulate

The D33 is less than two weeks away, my first race of the year.  This ultra has gone from strength the strength over the years with 500 spaces available.  A low cost, no nonsense approach and friendly atmosphere makes this a great event for North East Scotland.

It's a popular ultra if stepping up from Marathon distance, the flat course makes it suitable for faster participants.  As I've said before, the D33 can have a nasty bite if not given the respect it deserves.  It's way to easy to set a quick pace early on, the fact it is possible to run all the way without hills to walk and break up the run means the chosen pace has to be spot on according to ability and fitness.  I'll post next week on how I intend to approach the D33 this year.

Choosing a training program that fits in with life and ability is hard, then I have to train according to the conditions of my main event.  Although the DC110 is a big challenge for me, this is not the main target this year.  I still want to run East to West Scotland which is earmarked for August.

Most of my training this year has been on tarmac and disused railway track.  Friday was another run home from work, although a half day meant this was done during daylight.  It was another slow slog home which was 15 minutes faster than the week before.  I have the same planned for the week ahead, another 26 miles on disused railway track.   This is good for both the D33 and my E2W challenge but not the Fling or DC110.  I've missed a few training events which usually gets me onto the West Highland Way, preferring to run closer to home instead.

I'd like to to make it to the Cateran Trail or West Highland Way before the Fling but just can't seem to find the time.  Even Bennachie, my local hill range seems out of reach so far.

It's been a while since I've  posted an MP3 download, here's my latest - All Good Things by Nelly Furtardo.

Tues 4, Wed 4 & 7, Thurs 6, Fri 26, Sun 8.  Weekly total 55 miles.        

No comments:

Post a Comment