The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Sunday 12 January 2014

Pennan 22 mile training run.

The weather was perfect for ultra training this weekend, clear blue sky's and a cold westerly breeze.
I was going to run the Gordon Way yesterday but changed it to the Moray Coast. 
I parked at Pennan, ran to Rosehearty and back which took me to 17 miles.  With 22 to cover I continued to Cullykhan Bay then returned to Pennan.  This training route is remarkably similar to the Cateran trail, with fields, farm tracks, stiles, gates and road sections - all on hilly terrain.

































Picking a hand torch for the Cateran was interesting.  The modern LED torch has came a long way.
There's lots of choice, with tactical torches made for the military or law enforcement.  In the end I opted for the Fenix E40, a standard lightweight torch with three power levels and a strobe.

 I tested running with my two head torches and the Fenix on Wednesday night, an eight miler round the Braes o Gight.  Needless to say, the 220 lumen Fenix outshone the head torches, making them redundant.  To be fair I think the head torches require new batteries.  I'll also need to balance the light a bit by reducing the Fenix output to a lower setting but it's good to know I've got a long range spot light when I need it.

Tues 4 Wed 8 Thurs 6 Sat 22 Sun 12. Weekly total 52 miles.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment