The Deer Runner

The Deer Runner

Sunday 26 January 2014

Free torch holder with every wash.

The long run was 25 miles this weekend so I decided to get it out of the way early and ran home on Friday night.  I knew the weather was going to be bad, but not that bad.  This was a trial run, using the clothing and kit I'll be using on the DC.  Luckily full waterproofs were packed in my back pack which were worn the full 26 miles.

It was a southerly wind which made the gruelling conditions bearable, although after half an hour I was soaked through.  On reaching Ellon I was worried about core temperature, I only had a thin  running top under the waterproof jacket.  I had no choice but to push on, there was no-one to be seen as I ran through Ellon and into the night.  The wind howled through power lines high overhead, the lonely sound sending a chill down my spine.  The rain did ease off as I left the Buchan line for the last 10 miles home.  Time taken - 4.5 hours.

The Tikka head torches and hand torch with new batteries lit the trail up perfectly, illumination for the race is sorted.   

The waterproofs are a bit bulky and did let the rain in but the conditions were as bad as it gets so I'll pack them on race day.

Food was a Bounty Bar and Cliff shot blocks, I liked the shot blocks so will start using them on future ultras.

For the first time, I used wool hiking socks which kept my feet warm, even when wet.  They seem to be a success although I need to test them on longer runs.

Although double tied, the laces came undone on the Hokas three times which was inconvenient, I'll have to make sure they are tied tight on race day.

Yesterday was 13 miles, I started the run very stiff and sore after the previous night.  It took a long time to warm up and get into stride.  I ran from my house to the Braes and back.  I didn't carry water as I have a clear stream half way round the Braes.  Crouching down at the stream had two benefits, to slake my thirst and give my legs the Morton Stretch.

Now for the title of this post.  This tip comes courtesy of my nephew Lloyd, ever wondered what to do with odd socks out of the washing machine?  Cut the end off, slide the sock up onto your arm and voila - a torch holder.  Perfect for carrying the hand torch when it's not required.

Tues 4  Wed 10  Thurs 6  Fri 26  Sat 13. Weekly total 59 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment